Monday, May 21, 2012

Machu Picchu - Day 1

So my goal is to blog about each day in an effort to share my trip with my family.

Day One started off very early.  The driver arrived on our doorstep at 4:15am.  We arrived in Cusco around noon.  I was super excited to walk out of the door of the airport and see my name written on a little sign (you know like they do in the movie), but we got out there and my name was no where to be seen.  I made another pass and noticed some David guy being picked up by the same company.  So I approached the girl and told her that I also had reservations with Gateway Peru and asked if she could find our where our transport was.  She double checked her list and low and behold she had just written the wrong name on the board.  So sad.....


Shawn eating an
alpaca burger
We arrived in our hotel where they served us Coca tea to help with altitude sickness (YUCK!  It needs about 3 teaspoons of sugar before I can even get it down) and filled out the hotel registration.  Then we headed out to see the town. 
After a bit of shopping we stopped for lunch, where we had a wonderful smoothie (Peru has great fresh juices) and an alpaca burger.  I hear alpaca is healthier to eat than beef, and it didn't taste to bad. 
While shopping
 we found this sign. 
Hehehehehe







We spent 3 hours just wandering around the shopping of Cusco, and I loved every minute of it.  Shawn hates that I negotiate with the vendors, but I think that is come of the fun of it.  We bought alpaca sweaters, and a couple of little treats for the kids.


Gotta love the shopping



Later that night we went to Don Antonio's.  If you are planning a trip to Peru everyone told us this was the place to go, but we didn't think it was worth the money.  The show was great! Although we were exhausted from a long day, but the food SUCKED and Shawn ended up getting food poisoning (I think from the ceviche.) Dinner that night cost $70 for the two of us and we didn't eat much of anything.   We did however try Guinea Pig, a traditional Peruvian dish.  It is possible we might have liked Guinea Pig more had we not tried it from this place first I just couldn't get past the face.... or the idea of eating a pet.

One of the many dances at Don Antonio's.



Traditional Peruvian Costume Dancers.

Gotta love the photo ops.

No comments:

Post a Comment