Saturday, May 12, 2012

Feliz Dia de Madre

Last night our family attended a party at the church for Mother's Day.  It was amazing.  As usual it was scheduled to begin at 7 but didn't really start until 8.  So my kids spent the first hour in the yard playing.  You can see Isaac "chasing" after the missionaries as they are headed into the party.  

 

A favorite "hang out" of Isaac's

"LET ME OUT!"
 I love the picture of Eli above pleading to get out, because he often does escape.  The church here leaves ALL of the doors open.  The doors to the church to the yard and if I don't have my hands on him every single minute he will run away.   That is one of my many wonders here.  Why is it my little white, blond haired, blue eyed American baby will run far, far away when given the chance but all these little Paraguayan children are given the freedom to run all over the church and most of their parents don't think another thing about it and yet they never leave the premises?  I think it is a secret plot thought up by my children to drive me crazy.  But that must be a story for another day.
Although Isaac swears that he hates speaking Spanish and doesn't understand any of it, he sure gets along pretty well with the kids in the primary. 

So as my kids are out playing in the yard the Young Men are hard at work in the kitchen.  They made it a point to make sure that the Mothers didn't have to do any work.  And they did a pretty good job. 

We had a presentation of poems, dances and music by many of the ward members.  And of course the children sang, Mother I Love You! (which I of couse have video of but I can not get to load on here so I have put it on facebook for my family.)

The ward hired these wonderful musicians to come in and play traditional Paraguayan music.  And for the last song a few of the members got up and danced.  Would you know Shawn and I did too.  I would post a picture but I had the camera and was busy dancing.  But when we got on the dance floor the ward cheered, probably because we were making fools of ourselves not knowing how to do their dance.  But we were creating memories; and that one was a good one for us. 


 This cake turned out to be pretty yummy.  I don't usually care for cake here.  They tend to be dry and full of dulce de leche.  This one was not dry, but was full of dulce de leche but also had peaches layered in it.  It was a hit with the ward.  My family even liked it, and that says a lot here. 
This is our bishopric.  I have to say over the course of our lives there have been a couple of bishops that have really stuck out as super, humble, wonderful men that touched our lives.  This bishop is one of them.  He is an awesome guy.  We are grateful to know him. 

1 comment: