Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Our trip to PA

We began out trip to PA with a little bit of a rough start.  I woke up with a migraine and decided to sleep a couple of hours to try to get rid of it.  We had tickets to see Independence Hall at 1:00.  We pulled out at 9:30 and arrived in Philadelphia at 12:30.  We were told to pick up our tickets AT LEAST 1 hour before the tour time to give ourselves time to get through security and other stuff.  I ran and got our tickets (due to the line I didn't have them in hand until 12:45) took the 3 kids with me and my honey went to park the car. Will you believe that I got 3 kids through security, changed a diaper and we all still made it to the 1:00 tour time.  I couldn't believe that it worked out, but I was so grateful it did.  The tour was worth the hurry, all be it short.   






One of the highlights in the beginning of the trip was looking for National Treasure spots. As you can see in the picture this is the place where Nicholas Cage found Ben Franklin's glasses.













One of the things Shawn really wanted to do on this trip was to eat a Philly Cheese steak.  So we stopped by a little bistro to have lunch.  The food was great, the service sucked!  But he got his Philly cheese steak sandwich. 






When we got to the Liberty Bell one of the Rangers had silly bands.  As you can imagine Emma was all over that.  We of course got our own patriotic silly bands too. 



























Day 2 we went to Valley Forge.  We had so much fun there.  It was a near spiritual experience.  It was absolutely beautiful; which is ironic because it was cold, wet, muddy and treeless back when the Continental Army was settling for the winter but I would say it is now a small piece of American Heaven. 
Here the kids are in one of the huts (replica) built for 13 soldiers to share.







 
 
 
 
Isaac was thrilled with the cannons.  He was "aiming" this one at the British. 










We eventually joined the Continental Army to help fight for our independence.


We finished our day at the headquarters of George Washington.  The coolest thing about this place was that 75-85% of the building is original to when General Washington was there. It was cool as we walked up and down the stairs to know that our hands were holding onto the same railing that George and Martha Washington had used to climb those same stairs. 

I have done many of the Washington things around D.C. and I have always had a great deal of respect for the part George Washington played in the creation of our country but after walking through Valley Forge I have to say my respect has grown to admiration and love. 

Day 3 back to Philadelphia.


We started our last day at the Constitution Museum. As you can see Eli LOVED it. I do hope when the day comes that he learns about the Constitution that it is intact and being upheld by the people.



We all signed the Constitution signifying that we supported the document in its original form and seek to uphold it. 
 
One of the things the kids liked best about the experience was the "Once Upon a Nation."  They had these story tellers both in Phili and Valley Forge.  After almost every story Emma said, "This is how they should teach us at school.  We should just get to go from bench to bench and hear stories."  I have to agree with her it was a great way to learn.
So that was our trip.  Of course there were many other things we saw and learned, but I guess if you want to see them you will just have to go yourself.  We loved the trip and are actually hoping to fit in one more trip up that way before we leave here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment