
So last week we had "International Day" at the elementary school. In years past they have studied Paraguayan traditions and history and all of the kids have participated in a Paraguayan dance. But this year only 2 grades represented Paraguay and the others learned about different countries (and one state.)
All in all the program was great. The costumes were very well done and the kids looked so cute. But there were a couple of things that made me say, "huh?" For example the picture you see above is of England. If you look you will see the English flag, white with a red stripe. I had no idea this was England's flag, nor do I understand how those outfits represent England. I think our kids might have been better served to have learned about the United Kingdom, but who am I to say?
The other thing that made me giggle was that they choose to do Hawaii (the one state.) And every time the principal would talk about the different countries she would have to say (in a low voice,) "and one state." It was funny.

Isaac's class represented Taiwan. Now many of you might be thinking, "Taiwan is not a country, it is part of China." Well actually Paraguay is one of the few countries that recognizes Taiwan as an independent nation. So although we are the AMERICAN school of Asuncion, because we live in Paraguay we will let that one slide.

He looked so handsome in his costume. And although they were not told they were Ninja fighters;,I give it just a matter of time before he decided that is exactly what he is. Doesn't he look just like a Ninja?

This is Isaac's best friend. He was representing Tahiti. Cute huh?

These are our little dancers from Mexico. I think kindergartners are so cute. Don't you?
Isaac doing the "coolest" dance of all!

After all that dancing the kids got "passports" and if the collected the flags from each country they could turn it in for an ice cream. Isaac did it.
And he got his ice cream!
Awesome!! I love the various costumes!
ReplyDelete