Monday, June 4, 2012

It is NOT Negro Viernes, but Black Friday

So someone somewhere in Paraguay got the idea that Black Friday was a killer idea and they should have one here.  I seriously doubt that they understood the reason we have Black Friday in the States or why it is even called Black Friday; but none the less $$$ were in their eyes and thus Black Friday in Paraguay was born.   

The idea was conceived a while ago and they tried it out in Ciudad del Este about 6 or 8 weeks ago.  It went so well how could they not do it here in Asuncion?  So for a few weeks every store was advertising Black Friday.  Please note here that because it is a totally American "day" it was called Black Friday in English, not Negro Viernes.  Anyway, the only thing I knew about this whole event is that I wanted nothing to do with it.  I didn't car how much money I could save being out in these crowds was just not worth it.

That evening the traffic was horrific.  We later learned that there was an influx of over 600,000 people into the city that day.  There are only 2 million that live here, and only 6 million in the entire country.  It was NUTS trying to get around. 

I'm sure stores did well enough we will have another Black Friday next year, if not before.

** The following picture was taken from a local news paper. I did NOT enter a mall that day.


1 comment:

  1. That is crazy!! I don't like going out in the crowds either.

    ReplyDelete