I don't know how it is in other countries but here in Paraguay if you want something specific from Paraguay there is a city that does it. For example there is a city that makes hammocks, there is a city that makes jewelry, guitars, ceramics, leather, does wood working etc. Yes, you can get all of it here in Asuncion if you are willing to go to the right place and pay a pretty penny for it. But if you are willing to drive to the city that makes it you can find what you want for a reasonable price.
At Christmas we decided we wanted a traditional Paraguayan Nativity. So we drove to the city that made ceramics and spent a few hours deciding what we wanted and shopping. The streets were lined with vendors. We bought a huge nativity (I don't know what I was thinking because we are already so close where weight is concerned) and a beautiful vase. We will cherish it for years to come, but I worry about it making the trip to the next post. It took me 3 rather large boxes to pack it up after Christmas and I left out several pieces in my china cabinet.
Anyway back to the guitar story. Emma decided to take guitar this semester because they cut drama from the schedule. So she needed a guitar. Her teacher suggested I go down to the local mall and buy her a Yamaha guitar. Seriously?!? In a country that prides themselves on making guitars and harps? That is crazy! I looked up where we could buy one and the Internet suggested Luque. We got in the car and Shawn says to me, "Where are we headed?"
"Luque." I say.
"Okay. Would you like to be more specific?"
"I can't, I don't have any more information than that. I figured we would get into town and ask someone where to go."
A little flustered at my lack of planned he agreed and he headed off. I kid you not, we were driving down the road and underneath the sign that said "Bienveniedos a Luque" was a guitar shop. And 3 more followed it in the next 2 blocks. We bought her a beautiful handmade guitar for a little over $100.
I hope to hit Hammock city next.
No comments:
Post a Comment