Friday, January 20, 2012

Home for the Holidays

We began our trip home in secret.  For weeks we had been planning to surprise my mother by just showing up on her doorstep.  It took some effort on every one's part.  I called my sister and let her know when we were coming and asked her if she could find away to keep mom home when we were arriving.  I called and let my dad know, because he had to make sure the house was grandchild ready (i.e.  no Christmas presents visible).   And then I left the planning up the the kids.  They talked for weeks about what they would say and how surprised my mother would be.  It was a blast!  I don't love the surprise thing, but my kids got such a kick out of it. 

Two days after we arrived we celebrated Isaac's birthday.  Yes it was a bit late, but he really wanted to have a celebration with the family.  So he asked my mom and sister to hold off on sending his birthday gifts to him and we celebrated there. 
On the 23rd we got visit from the fat man in red.  This has become tradition at my mother's house.  Every year we are home (and now probably every year because my sister has two little ones) Mr. and Mrs. Clause come to the Nielsen house.  This is such a wonderful tradition and something my kids will remember for always.  This guy is the real deal.  He talks to them about the good things they have accomplished in the year, and things they still need to work on.  He brings a message about our Savior and poses for as many pictures as we want. 
Christmas 2011
 We were so pleased that Trisha's In-laws could join us for the Cash and Dacen's first meet and greet with Santa. 


Emma as beautiful as ever, sucking up for good gifts.

Isaac doing the smile only he can do.

Ummm, yep that is pretty much what Eli thought of the big guy.


 We spent Christmas Eve with the Stewart/Gentrys eating a wonderful dinner my mother-in-law cooked, enjoying the company of family we only get to see once in a while and watching the kids play games with their grandparents.  It was a wonderful time to build memories with them.  We learned that night that my in-laws are putting in mission papers this summer so it will likely be 3 years before we get to see them again.  It was bitter sweet news.  But we know they are going to make the most wonderful missionaries.  There is nothing more important to them than building the Kingdom of God.  I so wish I had pictures of this day, but we were so busy catching up the camera never made it out of the bag.

Christmas morning traditional crepe breakfast.


Okay I know it is cheesy, but I thought I was so funny giving my brother in law a calf hoof bottle opener for Christmas.  Yes, we do use EVERY part of the cow here in Paraguay. Looks like he didn't think it was nearly as funny as I did. 

The most exciting gift was opened Christmas morning.  Everyone in the family received a bathtub toy boat.  It took about 5 minutes but Emma finally got that we were going on a cruise.  Yep, that is right.  Santa brought us a 7 night cruise to the Virgin Islands.  We had a blast. (Pictures to come.) 



 
On the 31st Isaac was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  It was a wonderful day.  We had family from all over come to share in the day with us.  Although it would have different for Isaac to be baptized in Paraguay, I was glad we waited so he could have that day with family. 


 Later that evening we all went to temple square to enjoy the beautiful lights.  My kids love doing this and it will be missed next year. 
Moursey and Lowell


The Hunsakers
The best family picture we could get.  Someday we will all smile at the same time.

The best parents a kid could ask for.

 



1 comment:

  1. A cruise for Christmas? I am coming to join your house next year to see what Santa will bring me!

    Glad you could surprise your Mom. How fabulous!! And even more glad you got to be "home" for the holidays!!

    ReplyDelete