Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Eli Turns One


I have to say I was dreading Eli's first birthday.  In our family 1st birthdays are a big deal and we usually have a big family party.  Cake, singing, presents, the works.  I knew that Eli's birthday was going to be different and that made me really sad. 

We have only been here a couple of weeks so although I came prepared with a few birthday decorations and a cake mix, presents had not arrived (with the excetion of my mothers... she is so on top of things).  We have all been feeling VERY under the weather and it just didn't seem like a birthday.

The kids however did make the best of the day.  We put up what decorations we had and spent the afternoon making the cakes.  Everyone did their best to make Eli's day special for Eli. 

Emma and I worked on baking the cakes and then I turned over the frosting and sprinkels to the kids and they each decorated one cake.  I think this has become their favorite part of the birthday tradition.  I used to order cakes because it was a "special" event.  But they love decorating so much it makes the day that much more special.   
The picture below is of my mother on the phone singing to the birthday boy.  She was such a trooper it took him almost an hour to eat (and decide he couldn't eat any more) cake and she was on the phone for the whole of it.  I wish we would have throught a head and brought our camera so we could have skyped. 


This is how all of the cake was eaten:  a big handful and then shoving as much of it into his mouth as possible.  It will probably not surprise you that a good portion of the cake ended up on his lap. 

 How do you not love that smile???
When he was done eating he began just playing and throwing it everywhere.  Emma called it the Splash Zone.  He had a blast!

 

Eli offered many times to share his cake with everyone else.  He is such a great sharerer.  We however refused. 
 I could not decide which of the following pictures was better so you get both.  I have them as the background on my tv so everytime I turn it on I laugh. 


Last but not least I would like to take a moment to remember my father-in-law.  He died 14 years ago on this (April 8th) day.  It has always been a difficult day for our family, but last year on this day our little angel came 2 weeks early to change all that.  I like to think it was Paul's doing; reminding us that he lives on through our children (and believe me the genes are strong).  I believe Eli still gets to talk and play with him all the time and knows him well.  I didn't know him very long but I know he is a great man.  I am thankful for his love and example to my husband.  I am grateful for the home my husband was raised in with strong roots and abounding love that surrounded him.  I hope we can/are providing that environment to our children.  You are missed Paul!  We love you!

6 comments:

  1. Those are some of the best one year old birthday pics I have ever seen! Love it! My kids are more of the "daintily lick the frosting off" variety.

    Your father-in-law sounds like a great man. No wonder he is missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday sweet Eli! I love that you loved every second of your big day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great post celebrating a 1st birthday and making the best of your new adventure. Rand and I were so incredibly happy to see a tribute and picture of Paul. We miss him so much and talk of him often. He truly was and still is a great man. We loved him so much - and yes, those Stewart genes are strong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been included in the Weekly State Department Round Up here:
    http://smallbitsfs.blogspot.com/2011/04/state-department-round-up.html

    If you have a problem with any of the links or photos used, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kiddo may or may not have his 4th birthday in Guyana (depending on pack out...) and it is already stressing my IL's out at the idea he might miss the big family shin-dig. But Skyping will definitely have to be apart of it. (I Love cake smash pictures! So cute!)

    ReplyDelete