So I agreed to move THE VERY DAY I arrived back in country so that the government could have me out of my house by the end of the month. I felt this was really nice of me because I am a planner. I generally "pre-pack" before the movers arrive so that all of the contents of my drawers are not just thrown in boxes but are nicely bagged and easy to find. I unhook all electronics and secure them to the electronic which they belong, and I move things around so that when we arrive to the new place vital things are found easily and knick-knacks will have a home when the last boxes are unpacked.
Of course there was not time for any of that, so drawers were emptied into boxes, I still (3 weeks later) cannot find the cord to the Wii or movie player for the kids, and my computers are ... well functioning ... although not networked.
And through all of this it was the last 3 weeks of summer semester for me. So I have completed 3 papers, and two finals in this week. Completed paperwork for my kids, set up tutors, working on a preschool (required) project for children's day, arranged to have internet in my new house, and a mess of other things in the last few weeks.
One thing I have realized in this horrible mess (other than I made a mistake moving and should have just stayed in a house with a leaky roof) is that some embassies feel like a high school, or at least this one does at times. I'm sure this is true with any small community. I have experienced similar experiences at church and in small towns, at work and even within a large family, but none-the-less it is true.
First, you have the popular kids, of which I am not one, for many reasons, but mostly because I'm not as involved as I should be, and many of those people are just fake anyway. There is the back stabbing witch that if you make her mad she will make you pay, even if that means making your kids pay. There is the gossipy girl and/or the girl that will listen to all of your problems, that you get to comfortable with and it ends up biting you in the butt. There is the jock, that smiles at everyone, is constantly making jokes and seems like he really wants to be your friend; but when push comes to shove, he won't lift one finger for you unless it is in his job description. Of course there is the jocks
I guess I knew the whole high school dilemma before moving here. In fact being a part of a small community was one thing I really wanted. I still choose it. I could have gone home and found a different "high school group" to be a part of, but I decided to stay and enjoy the family I have here. I know it is not perfect and I will steer clear of some of these people, but I hope to also learn from my mistakes, sidestep the landmines, embrace the good, be a little more outgoing and keep moving on... once my house is unpacked.
Did I mention my next semester starts on Thursday?
Ahhhh, Lisa, you gave me an incredibly good laugh!!
ReplyDeleteRemind me, did you move into Eva and Darren's house?